Deborah Walker's Job Hunting Tips
If you have a position open, SMPTE/SBE will post for 60 days at no charge as a service to your membership.
Please send your job postings via our web form on the Contact Us page
Systems Engineer, Telemundo 25
The Telemundo Denver Technology & Operations department provides Technical Support, Engineering, Media Operations, Production, Studios and Facilities services for internal clients for the local portfolio of NBCU Owned Television Station businesses including a duopoly NBC and Telemundo News organization. The Technology team has responsibility for partnering with our local & division teams to build, deploy and support the technical systems used at NBCU Owned Television Station KDEN.
Reporting to the Manager of Technology, the Systems Engineer is a full-time position within the Technology & Operations Department that will be primarily responsible for helping gather requirements, planning, designing and implementing systems within our mission critical, multi-tenant broadcast and enterprise IT environment. The role requires that you possess the necessary self-discipline to take ownership and responsibility for delivering technical solutions considering both business and technical needs of all customers with the goal of providing a quality product that meets the user needs. You will be part of a talented team that demonstrate superb technical competency, delivering internal customer-oriented solutions, mission critical infrastructure, and ensuring the highest levels of availability and performance. The role will suit individuals who are excited by the opportunity to work with leading edge technologies in the design, implementation and transition to IP based and highly virtualized broadcast environments.
This position is eligible for company sponsored benefits including: medical, dental and vision insurance, 401(K), paid leave, tuition reimbursement, and a variety of other discounts and perks. Learn more about the benefits offered by NBCUniversal by visiting the benefits page of the Careers website https://www.nbcunicareers.com/benefits for more information
Targeted pay/Range: $65 - $75
- “A Hands on” accomplished systems engineer dedicated to help our business win by supporting mission critical broadcast and IT systems, projects and new initiatives.
- Develop strong working relationships with department leaders and their teams including Production Operations, Engineering, IT, Creative Services, Sales, Traffic and News Operations groups to manage systems, documentation, follow best practices and implement new technologies & deliver projects on time & within budget.
- Work with internal / external Technical Support teams to ensure timely resolution of customer requests and issues.
- Provide troubleshooting & support for systems, infrastructure and applications, including root cause analysis.
- Evaluate and optimize workflows related to all broadcast systems including linear and IP fabric for video infrastructures, virtualized Windows & Linux environments, encode / decode platforms, newsgathering tools, NLE, Media Asset Management systems, distribution / transmission systems and other workflow tools.
- Evaluate, test and install upgrades to all platform operating systems, applications, and hardware
- Risk Management: Assess all issues, adds, changes to mitigate potential system impact.
- Ongoing assessment of workflows, identifying manual processes that can be streamlined or improved upon with new hardware, software or automation
- Participate in the testing of new technology.
- Install, commission and configure new technology
- Develop and maintain system documentation for operational and troubleshooting purposes.
- Work with operations teams to ensure SOP’s & documentation are written and up to date
- Produce work that is consistently professional, reliable and detail oriented.
- Other duties as deemed necessary
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Broadcast Engineering or similar with 5+ years’ experience preferred. Equivalent experience considered.
- Experience in a similar role with an ISP, media company, systems integrator or other relevant industry.
- Experience in supporting large scale systems to support business needs
- Experience supporting a major market or network News operation
- Proficient with IT routers, switches, firewalls, and port management applications
- Hands on experience with support of non-linear edit systems such as Premier, FCP, Edius.
- Proficient in A/V file transcoding, data archiving processes and video compression technologies & standards.
- Hands on experience with support of non-linear edit systems such as Premier, FCP, Edius.
- Knowledge of media workflow tools and production systems such as Vantage, Dalet, Ross Overdrive or similar.
- Knowledge of distribution systems including RF, streaming and satellite.
- Knowledge of newsgathering and communications systems
- Strong ability to read and generate system documentation (Visio, ACAD).
- Positive work ethic, ability to work well in groups to execute projects on time and on budget while meeting customer expectations.
- Must be able to process large amounts of information, analyze this information and make sound decisions, sometimes under intense deadline pressure.
- Knowledge of standard engineering processes such as change control and agile development concepts.
- Must be keen to learn and develop new skills
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Excellent organization, collaboration and communication skills.
- Must possess strong multitasking skills and the ability to prioritize tasks
- Interested candidate must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered
- Must be willing to work in Centennial, CO.
- Willingness to travel and work outside standard hours, and on weekends with short notice
- Must be willing to submit to a background investigation
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
- Must be 18 years or older
- Ability to lift and carry 50+ pounds of gear
- Must be covered by Solutions, NBCU’s Alternative Dispute Resolution Program
Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered
- Knowledge and experience with hardware virtualization
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with diverse audiences across different departments, ranging from non-technical clients to technical professionals and operations staff.
- Knowledge and experience with setup, testing and documentation of proof of concept systems
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
NBCUniversal owns and operates over 20 different businesses across 30 countries including a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks and a premium ad-supported streaming service.
About NBCUniversal Local
Here you can be your authentic self. As a company uniquely positioned to educate, entertain and empower through our platforms, Comcast NBCUniversal stands for including everyone. We strive to foster a diverse and inclusive culture where our employees feel supported, embraced and heard. We believe that our workforce should represent the communities we live in, so that together, we can continue to create and deliver content that reflects the current and ever-changing face of the world. Click here to learn more about Comcast NBCUniversal’s commitment and how we are making an impact.
NBCUniversal Local is NBCUniversal’s local media division that delivers English and Spanish-speakers and bilingual audiences in 31 U.S. markets and Puerto Rico, the very best in local sports, news, weather, consumer and investigative reporting, and lifestyle entertainment across any platform and screen. NBCUniversal Local is comprised of three individual media groups including the NBC Owned Television Stations, the NBC Sports Regional Networks and the Telemundo Station Group. The division is also home to multicast networks NBCLX, COZI TV and TeleXitos, the regional cable news network NECN, as well as NBC Spot On, an advanced video advertising business designed for local/regional CTV and OTT advertisers and several in-house companies including production company LXTV, marketing and promotions company Skycastle, its out-of-home business NBC Everywhere, and the Arthouse, a graphics design group. With seven regional sports networks and 42 NBC and Telemundo stations serving 38 percent of U.S. homes, NBCUniversal Local is the only network-owned local media division that is home to the largest bilingual local newsrooms within the country’s top 10 TV markets. NBCUniversal Local’s stations and networks serve diverse audiences and communities across linear, streaming, OTT, digital web, mobile and audio, and cable platforms and work together to keep local audiences informed anytime and anywhere. For more information, visit NBCUniversal.com.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.